[NSRCA-discussion] Changing Sequences...

Joe Lachowski jlachow at hotmail.com
Thu May 7 10:41:51 AKDT 2009

Richard,

Strict guidelines must be followed to maintain the intent of skill development through the classes. A group of us drafted guidelines based on past sequence committee work. It is in Dereks' hands. It includes what must be taken into consideration for designing a given class sequence, the boundaries (ie total K range to keep within), as well as, a catalog of maneuvers for each class. My experience  being involved with the last few sequence committees is that people can get into the so called that'll be cool to do mode and they have to be reminded and kept in check.

Sequences also have to flow, allow for proper positioning in and out where needed, and allow sufficient room for long rolling horizontal manuevers. I can tell you right now that no matter how hard we tried, the sequences we ended up with were pretty good but not perfect when it came to this. There was always at least one place where there was a problem. An example in Masters, after the Figure-M we have a Top Hat which brings you in or out.  A good portion of the time, I find myself basically in no mans land. That being right where I really want to be position wise. When you get into this predicament you have to find a way to sneak in or out a little to give yourself the room to do a nice top hat that'll score. That being said, there is really only one maneuver that can be used after the Figure-M, the old Humpty Bump with Options.

By the way, Derek has been looking for volunteers to get involved. Don't know if he got enough people yet. Are you game?

Oh, also, I believe the Competitions Board will probably have to approve the sequences in the end anyway to guarantee that they fall within the safety guidelines of the AMA. I'm sure tht is the only way we are going to get them out of the book. I could be wrong on that though.