[NSRCA-discussion] 14MZ springs

Tony tony at radiosouthrc.com
Fri Mar 27 04:47:29 AKDT 2009

Adrian:
I sell HD springs for all transmitters and they are very popular.  I have
been using them in my 14MZ for several years now, without any problems.  I
have just changed to the new encoders as a matter of fact.

I don't understand the statement that HD springs cause undue wear on the
encoders.  They are a pivot point, not a pressure point for the
spring/scissor unit.  There is just not a problem here.

The only issues with springs is to make sure the loops are large enough so
the spring can pivot, especially in the grove that is in the plastic
adjuster in the Futaba units.  If the loop is too small, the top of the
spring coil will press against the bottom of the adjuster arm and will
actually flex the adjuster, causing it to break over time.  When the loop is
large enough so the coil does not touch the adjuster arm, the spring will
just pivot in the groove (as it should).

I have been flying HD springs since 1981...  literally thousands of flights
and never a failure...

Tony Stillman, President
Radio South, Inc.
139 Altama Connector, Box 322