[NSRCA-discussion] Landings and Takeoffs

J N Hiller jnhiller at earthlink.net
Tue Mar 3 17:14:52 AKST 2009

I've seen a lot of what you are talking about. IMAC airplanes are much like
pattern airplanes although less forgiving of pilot error.
Cubs are scale airplanes also and making an on-line takeoff and landing
including climb-out and final in a quartering or crosswind with a high wing
scale airplane is probably the most difficult and attention demanding thing
an RC pilot can do. Cross controlling on the ground is needed and the pilot
needs to transition to an upwind yaw as the wheels leave the ground to hold
the line during climb-out. Cross controlling needs to be reapplied just
before touchdown to prevent a downwind roll with rudder as airplane steered
along the centerline. It really is fun requiring nearly maximum use of the
old processor. Flying a pattern airplane in a crosswind is a piece of cake
by comparison.

Jim