[NSRCA-discussion] Weight

J N Hiller jnhiller at earthlink.net
Thu Jun 4 09:59:19 AKDT 2009

Yes 5 Kg is a blue sky number inherited from Europe but likely as good as
any number if we were to attempt to justify an acceptable compromise
involving personal preference for cost, size etc. There will likely be no
overwhelming consciences for anything except to maintain the current weight
limit allowing gradual design evolution rather than instant obsolesce.
Going back probably 20 years FAI local participation in FAI was low and a
lot of local contests didn't offer it and top level fliers were being
encouraged to participate in the FAI qualification / selection program.
Today few fly both and design tweaking to optimize compatibility with new
schedules such as flight time and integrated rolling maneuvers appear to be
extending the separation between FAI and AMA and they have truly become
destination classes. As I stated in a K-Factor article over 20 years ago I
will likely never fly FAI and have no problem with AMA having different
rules.
Jim Hiller