[NSRCA-discussion] Weight

John Pavlick jpavlick at idseng.com
Thu Jun 4 09:51:58 AKDT 2009

What everyone is dancing around is the fact that there are 2 definitions of "takeoff weight". One for glow / gas powered airplanes and one for electrics. Being an engineer and a somewhat logically minded person I would say that the correct definition of "takeoff weight" would include batteries, fuel, protoplasm -  whatever is necessary to allow the airplane to fly. I'm sure most people would agree.

The "problem" comes form the fact that some people believe there is no way of verifying the amount of fuel that would be put into a glow / gas airplane when it's weighed (people might put half a tank of fuel in and then get the airplane weighed), so they decided to weigh them without fuel. Solved the problem - but created another one when electrics became popular. Let's see. How hard is it to make sure you have a full tank of fuel? Doesn't it run out of the overflow? Is it really that hard? I know it might take longer to verify that the tank is full but if that's what needs to be done then so be it. How do you know that the batteries are installed in an electric? How can you be sure that every time that plane is flown in the contest, the batteries will weigh the same (someone could weigh in with smaller batteries)?

I REALLY wish more of you guys were involved in car racing. 99% of these ridiculous "problems" would be avoided. Here's how it works: Before the car goes on the track it's inspected. If it meets the rules (weight, size, safety equipment, etc.) it gets stickered. NOW it can race. Cars are usually checked before they go out and when they come off the track. If you place in the top 3 the engine usually gets torn apart. Cheaters get caught by the tech. inspectors. Everyone knows the rules and all the cars running in a given class must meet those rules. It's not rocket science. If a bunch of good ole' boys at a dirt track can do it - why can't we? LOL

Simple solution to this seemingly impossible to solve problem: come up with a weight limit that is reasonable for a 2-meter Pattern plane that's READY TO FLY. That means an electric with batteries and a glow airplane with a full tank of fuel. Of course you can fly with less fuel or smaller batteries if you want to be lighter but what we're looking for is a worst case / maximum weight scenario. To be fair, the planes should be weighed before thay take off and after they land. Do you need to do this at local contests? No, I don't think so. How many planes are weighed at local contests now? Should you do this at the Nationals? Absolutely. Anythng else will only lead to more discussion, explanation and discontent.

John Pavlick