[NSRCA-discussion] Long - RE: Weight

Dave DaveL322 at comcast.net
Thu Jun 4 08:17:35 AKDT 2009

Honestly, I understand (and agree) with the intention to allow the "cheap
electric", but it is no different than trying to tweak the rules for the
"cheap gas engine" and won't (my opinion, with substantial history to back
it) work-
- why should the rules be tweaked to essentially allow someone the latest
greatest (electric) without paying for it (either with time, or $$$, or
experience)?  The latest greatest always cost more - that is the nature of
competition.
- I truly believe the time spent researching, designing, crafting,
submitting, and implementing such a proposal will largely be wasted because
the process is relatively slow and can not possibly keep up with the rate of
change in electrics as technology advances.
- Anyone who wants to try electric - go right ahead - and fly a current day
design at a slight weight disadvantage at local comps (most guys don't go to
the NATs anyway) - no one is going to ask or care about a couple ounces over
11 lbs.  And if they do decide to go to the NATs, they can suck it up and
buy 1 expensive pack for official flights and the scale.

With the understanding of the intent to allow cheap electrics, the
unintended consequences of any rule change needs to be carefully evaluated
prior to submitting a proposal.  In this case, the unintended consequence
will be the opportunity for the TOP LEVEL electric designs to grow
substantially in size and weight, which will drive the cost up for all
competitors (glow and electric) to compete with the new performance
standard.  The average plane is influenced by whatever the TOP LEVEL stuff
is - that is why both electric and glow TOP LEVEL stuff has always been
right on the limit of whatever the rules are at the time, and that is the
way it will always be - again, it is the nature of competition.

The top level electrics right now weigh well under 11 lbs......10 lbs is
quite possible with electric monoplanes, which is why some are able to sneak
biplanes in under 11 lbs - of course this is by shaving every ounce off the
airframe (reducing it's lifespan and making it relatively fragile) and
pushing the lipos harder (also reducing it's lifespan).  So when you look at
8.7 lbs considering the weight of the electrics that are marginally
overweight (with the Zippy packs and AXI), the unintended consequence is the
guys that have 7.5 lb airframes now have 1.2 lbs of additional weight to add
to make the plane bigger - and you know it will be used, and probably along
the lines of -
- 6-8 oz for structure
- 3-4 oz for more motor (more power)
- 4-5 oz for more lipo (which would still be rated the same 5300 mah, but be
heavier to allow more voltage under load, thus delivering more watts through
the course of the flight - and it will be called a "High Power Prolite", or
"High Power AEON", whatever.)
- 1-2 oz more for bigger servos and more RX battery

And 2 years after the 8.7 lb rule is introduced, there will be a cheap copy
of the "High Power Prolite" will be available and it will weigh 5 oz more,
and the desire will be to raise the 8.7 lbs to 9.2 lbs.

Allow 5.5 kg (12 lb) or 6 kg (14.3 kg) airframes, and yes, you will have
DA50 powered stuff that is competitive with current day designs, but it will
not be competitive with the YS built for 6 kg airframes for the same reason
gas is not competitive with glow now.

Allow 5.5 kg weight limit, and you instantly solve the problem of all the
guys that are a couple oz over the current 5 kg weight limit.  And the new
designs will grow, and in 1-2 years, the new designs will be showing up a
couple oz over the 5.5 kg limit.

It may be true that for the TOP LEVELs of competition that any airframe is
obsolete in 3 years......BUT.......changing the rules to allow 15 lbs
airframes will obsolete (immediately) not only the airframes, but the
powerplants and servos.....and up the horsepower requirements substantially
which will increase the noise (only measured at the NATs) and require
substantially more cost to reduce the noise (to achieve 94/96 db at the
NATs).

All of the above is escalation no different than what we've seen in the past
-
- "we" started with .61 cubic inch (10 CC) limit and 5 kg......the only
practical limit was the displacement.
- "we" allowed 120 4C (big mistake, short sighted, or should have been
continually adjusted as competition 4Cs developed).  Airframes grew and cost
went up....some airplanes actually exceeded 2M (which was not yet a limit).
- "we" allowed unlimited engines to, in part, cover up the mistake of the
120 4C, and, in part, to allow cheap gas engines (another big mistake, again
short sighted).  The 2M rule went into place because that was essentially
the "largest" plane in existence at the time.  The airframes got bigger
again (fuse volume), and cost went up again, and the practical limit to
airframe size became the 5 kg weight limit.

Of course we also have the noise limit - that is really a separate issue -
but - it is worth noting that larger airplanes require more power, and more
power is more noise (or more expense to keep the noise from increasing).

"Wouldn't it be nice if"........is a dangerous lead in to rule changes with
unintended consequences.  The gas engine, the heavier lipo, the heavier
motor, the heavier airframe, etc.....will all forever be less competitive
because the limits will always be pushed by the airframe/powerplant that has
the best power to weight ratio, and that will always cost more, and always
be more sensitive to weight conscious building techniques.  No change in the
rules will ever allow parity for equipment that does not have the best power
to weight ratio.

Someone else made the point that they perceived the less the rules change,
the more available airframes and equipment are (2nd hand) - I couldn't agree
more.  Stop changing the rules to allow (intended or not) higher performance
airframes, and the "old" ones won't be obsolete so quickly.

Personally, after a lot of research and planning, I switched to electric in
2006....and the expense was big.....especially because I had perfectly good
glow stuff, and maintained glow and electric for about 1 year.  To date,
I've built 3 electric airframes (1 Abbra, 2 Prestige), and between them I
have run 12 different motors of different brands, weights, in/out runners,
and just about every mounting configuration you can think of.  The majority
of the motors have been < $300, and I've always used the Castle 85HV (which
I think has always been and still is the least expensive ESC available for
the job).  My planes have weighed anywhere between 9 lbs 13 oz and 10 lbs 14
depending on the configuration.  If I had the time, $$$, resources, etc, I'd
design and build my own stuff right up to the limit, whatever that limit
might be.  As I do have limits (as most of us do), I'll get as close to what
I think optimum performance is, and it may or may not be pushing the limits
(for whatever reasons).

In the past 3 years, I've spent a huge amount of time on email, phone,
forums, in my shop, in others shops, etc....working with people on how to
assemble electric pattern stuff....and most are not using the most expensive
airframes or equipment, and all are under 11 lbs.  Bottom line is that you
can not take the largest, cheapest, and heaviest of each respective
component and have a sub 11 lb electric OR glow plane.  Nor do you need to
have the most expensive and lightest example of each component to be
competitive.  You do need to research, plan, and make educated decisions.
No offense to anyone with an 10 lb 18 oz plane....they do exist....and most
are being happily flown, and most can make weight for the NATs if the time
is spent in advanced.

Regards,

Dave