[NSRCA-discussion] Weight

Bill's Email wemodels at cox.net
Thu Jun 4 06:11:15 AKDT 2009

krishlan fitzsimmons wrote:
> It penetrates the wind better. I wouldn't think of flying and of my
> sailplanes unballasted in the wind. They don't "fly" as good.
>
> */Chris /*

Of course a powered plane is not relying on penetration the same way a
glider is.  Upwind penetration in high wind conditions is critical to a
glider and the only "power" it has is the pull of gravity. A heavier
model is going to have more "power". But even then you still want to be
as light as possible for the given conditions.

In power planes a heavier plane gives the feeling of greater stability
in turbulent conditions. But the price that is paid is that when it is
upset from level flight due to turbulence it takes more control throw to
right it. Simple physics. Takes more to move it (more stable) means it
takes more to restore it.

The trick is finding the best compromise weight when ballasting any
plane for the wind.