[NSRCA-discussion] Weight

Dave DaveL322 at comcast.net
Wed Jun 3 13:25:53 AKDT 2009

As has been noted many times previously, no one is going to get disqualified
at a local contest because their current day design and equipped plane is
slightly overweight.  And has been discussed previously, the NATs is a
different animal - if you go to the NATs and will be in contention, you
ought to be in compliance with the rules.  Ergo, my following discussion
assumes planes of legal weight.

So what is the average weight of a glow plane now at takeoff?  I think 12
lbs (5.5 kg previously quoted) is probably close to right - and that is some
guys that are carrying enough fuel to practice 2 sequences (tho that has
always eluded me, I don't see the point of practicing while carrying around
an extra pound of dead weight).  And there are some glow planes that will
run out of fuel if they took off at 12 lbs (either because they weigh more
than 11 lbs dry, or they need more than 16 oz of fuel by weight to complete
the sequence).  And the lightest stuff is down around 9.25 - 9.5 lbs dry and
only needs 10 oz for a full Masters schedule.

Electrics weigh anywhere from 9.75 lbs to 11 pounds, and the average is
probably 10.75 lbs.

So....you put in a rule change that allows weight (12 lbs) to be measured at
takeoff, and you have just given the electrics a 1.25 lb advantage (nothing
fair about that if you are a glow flyer and can't afford to convert to
electric).  The electrics do not now, and certainly not in the future, need
an advantage.  Giving electrics another 1.25 lbs to work with WILL ESCALATE
the size, cost, and complexity of the average pattern plane.  Trying to
legislate different takeoff weights for glow and electric (and let's add
gas, and distinguish between 2C and 4C while we are at it) would be an
administrative nightmare, would always be contentious, and always be in a
state of flux as technology changes.

Verne - How/when/who/why it was decided electrics should be weighed with
batteries is mute at this point - it is done and established.  It could have
gone either way, and if it had gone the other way, I suspect there would be
very few glow flyers left in pattern.  With the performance electrics
already have (arguably superior), giving them an additional advantage will
accelerate the death of glow (which is imminent as electrics improve).
Trying to legislate room for heavy electric motors and heavy electric
batteries will only allow the top end electric stuff to increase in
performance (and cost) and the cheaper heavier electric stuff will still be
uncompetitive (and further bury glow).  In competitive events, competitors
push and exploit the rules.  The history in pattern is very clear......"we"
eliminated engine displacement rules to allow larger, cheaper sport glow and
gas engines to compete......it didn't work because the performance bar was
raised as the rules were exploited by YS and OS.  The same thing will happen
with electric if the rules are changed to allow it.

Mike, not picking on you.....but what has fairness got to do with
competition?  Competition has rules, and if everyone plays by the rules, and
the cheaters are disqualified, it is a level playing field and it is fair.
Back in the day, my first pattern motor was a Super Tigre S-61 with the
heavy finned ST header and heavy ST pipe because I couldn't afford the
latest Rossi at 3 times the cost, and probably a couple month wait.  I beat
the crap out of a lot of Rossi flyers because I practiced more.  Current
day, electrics and the YS CDI are the latest and greatest, and there is
nothing fair about some people not being able to afford them, but that is
the nature of open competition.  The rules should no more be changed to help
the cheaper heavier True RC / Rhino lipo than they should be changed to
allow everyone to run a CDI.

Regards,

Dave