[NSRCA-discussion] Weight

Bill's Email wemodels at cox.net
Wed Jun 3 09:31:11 AKDT 2009

Robert L. Beaubien wrote:

> I'm not sure that rule suggestion is well thought out.  How do you
> enforce the rule?  Now you have to have the competitor disassemble
> their plane to show it is full of fuel. How much air in the tank
> constitutes a full tank?  And the weight of fuel changes with
> temperature.  What temp are you going to keep the plane to check the
> weight?
>

> - Robert Beaubien
>
> - NSRCA, District 7 Webmaster
>
> -

Keep in mind that they are talking about helicopters here. Even in a
full on F3C heli with the fuse on you can easily see the tank. Plus if
it is a FAI contest they simply will make you top off just before
putting it on the scales, no big deal.

And to the idea of a 50cc 2-meter Biplane, I've flown a DA50 powered 75
inch Double Vision biplane. Trust me, I would much rather have any
pattern mono plane instead!! But if that is the fear, then cap the
displacement at 26cc, which will more than handle any monoplane. Gas
engines below 50cc have not proven to have the right power to weight
ratio to justify their use in aerobatic planes.

Also, go to an IMAC contest. You will notice something right off the
bat. No biplanes.  Go figure.