[NSRCA-discussion] YS Problem

Ryan Smith smaragdz at bellsouth.net
Tue Jun 2 20:23:25 AKDT 2009

Archie,

I saw on Japanese build thread for a Starcraft Addiction that the owner was using a Great Planes spinner. I've used them on a couple of airplanes and like them.

Mark,

Did the brass fitting come out or just the check valve pop off of the fitting? I was breaking in a 1.70 for a friend of mine and after fooling around with it for quite a while it ran for about one minute before it quit. I started trying to start it again, and I felt something hitting the glow driver when I was putting it back on the plug and I noticed a little fuel dripping.

I took the chin cowl off and the actual check valve had melted at the bottom and mushroomed out and fell off of the fitting. It turns out it was because the low end setting was about one turn lean. I stole a check valve off of a 1.60 and richened the low end up a turn and it ran like a top. Granted, you've got more time on your motor than this one did when I ran into the problem, but I thought I'd at least offer my experience.
-------------- Original message from "Archie Stafford" <astafford at swtexas.net>: --------------

Which of the plastic spinners are some of the Japanese and others running? I see it has an aluminum backplate, but definitely has a plastic front. I have one of the Great Planes with the aluminum backplate that I'm going to try. With