[NSRCA-discussion] FW: nats format

Joe Lachowski jlachow at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 30 07:40:20 AKDT 2009

I have not read everyones comments to thoroughly to digest this.

But, we already have a problem with getting judges for the Masters and FAI finals already. Getting judges for the other classes on top of that really makes it difficult. This years Nats was a prime example, there was an imbalance of judges district wise in the Masters finals. Don't know how FAI panned out.

Do we really need a finals for Intermediate and Advanced? They get equal exposure already. If there is a finals for Advanced and Intermediate, it really only needs to be the top 5. I had the opportunity to judge Advanced this year and that is what I see from this experience. Another option for Masters finals is top 8 with the the 8th being determined by a one round sudden death flyoff between numbers 8 through 11 or 12 at the end of day 3.

Also, for this to really work properly, there is a need for a pool of say, at least, 6 paid full time judges available. Not to mention more volunteers  or paid individuals for various other duties if there is a plan to weigh every plane, etc.

What really messed up this years Nats was the fact that no shows did not bother to contact Dave early enough or at all for him to fix judging assignments. No shows are what really screw things up for the contest management. No shows screw up flight order exposure, create an imbalance in matrix seeding and sends contest management scrambling to fill judging assignments vacated by the no shows. We were short about 10  or so judges from the FAI and Masters pool. This is the critical pool of judges to make things work. This does not include the Advanced and Intermediate no shows. This all gets amplified when there is a year with lower than usual attendance which this year was.