[NSRCA-discussion] Collision Avoidance Breaks

Archie Stafford astafford at swtexas.net
Mon Jul 27 10:07:24 AKDT 2009

This is not a rule in pattern.  There is virtually no way to be certain of
an oncoming mid-air.  If you are flying your plane then you really aren't
going to be able to see the other plane either.  I've seen some that looked
very close, that probably really weren't and mid-air's that happened when
they didn't look that close.

In IMAC where they have the rule you can call avoidance, I have twice seen
people call avoidance thinking they are going to have a mid air and actually
turn directly into the path of the other plane.  Had they just stayed on
their line they would've been fine.  I think you are much better off, just
flying and maintaining your line and if a mid air happens, it happens
unfortunately, but the odds of turning away in time to avoid one is
virtually impossible.

Mid-airs will happen as long as there are 2 planes in the air.  Trying avoid
them usually causes more problems than it solves.

Arch