[NSRCA-discussion] Charger Precaution

John Konneker jlkonn at hotmail.com
Sat Jul 18 04:52:22 AKDT 2009

Early,

That's good advice!

Do you think the balance tap needs protected as well?

I learned my lesson when I had my LiPo fire that I wrote up in my column not too long ago.

But for the grace of God...

Thanks!

JLK

From: ejhaury at comcast.net
To: nsrca-discussion at lists.nsrca.org
Date: Sat, 18 Jul 2009 07:39:19 -0500
Subject: [NSRCA-discussion] Charger Precaution

I recently had a well known LiPo charger develop an internal short across the output. The charger finished charging a pack fine, but when connecting the next pack a major arc removed a good deal of the connector. The manufacturer confirmed that there was an internal component failure and promptly replaced the unit (the thing was new and only used half a dozen times.) This could have been really bad if the short had occurred mid-charge with the batts fully connected.

I suspect that installing an inline fuse in the leads between the charger and batts would be prudent. In-line fuse holders are readily available (Radio Shack, auto parts suppliers, etc.) Probably something in the 20A slo-blow range will work.

Earl