[NSRCA-discussion] Optical Isolation of Servo

Bob Richards bob at toprudder.com
Thu Jul 9 05:23:14 AKDT 2009

There are optical isolators that only isolate the signal wire itself, the servo still gets its power through the extension from the receiver. That might help. There are chokes that will add some impedance to the RF interference (small ferrites on the leads) but that does not completely isolate the interference. If you want a completely isolated throttle servo, the only one I know of is from Forques Research.

http://forgues-research.com/index.html

The throttle servo gets its power from the ignition battery (or a separate battery), the servo signal is through a fiber optic cable. Use this in conjunction with a fiber optic ignition kill switch (as previously posted, from Smart-Fly) and everything associated with the engine is isolated electrically from the radio.

Bob R.