[NSRCA-discussion] Bifocal Contact Lenses

Anthony Abdullah aabdu at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jul 8 10:25:49 AKDT 2009

Whatever you do, do NOT even consider laser if you are not a good candidate. I was told at first that I wasn't a good candidate, then the doc took another measurement (I guess that happens when your check clears) and I was told that I would be OK. Everything was lovely for a year then went TERRIBLY wrong  Now, due to a permanent destabilization of my eye I am barely functional with glasses as my perscription changes monthly and can only see well enough to fly in special hard contacts that help maintain the integrity of my eyeball.

They are much less comfortable than they sound and are prone to pop out or irritate me if the slightest bit of water or breeze gets in my eyes (no way there would be rain or wind at a contest)! I was told that I would have had much better vision with soft comfortable contacts if I had not done the laser procedure. My only other option is a non FDA approved procedure called collagen cross linking! Not effing likely!!!

My advice, see a good eye doctor (not a mall optometrist) and have them fit you for some good soft contacts. You will be surprised at how well they work.

Anthony