[NSRCA-discussion] PayPal payment problem (raffle tickets sales)

Bill's Email wemodels at cox.net
Sat Jul 4 14:43:03 AKDT 2009

 My wife used to work for a hospital foundation. They got sideways
selling "raffle tickets" with various government agencies and so on.

They learned there are two keys:

1 - DO NOT CALL IT A RAFFLE. It is an OPPORTUNITY DRAWING. I know,
semantics, but it works for the IRS so I suspect PayPal will be OK.

2 -  you CANNOT require people to buy a ticket. If they want a ticket
for free they can ask for and demand one. Now in nearly 10 years of
doing several opportunity drawings per year they never once had someone
demand a free ticket. But it is a key part of this.

May not help here, but this is what most all non-prfit groups around the
country have learned to do in order to keep doing raffles.. oops, I mean
opportunity drawings without getting government agencies unhappy with them.