[NSRCA-discussion] Supplier Credit - Re: IOTA 55 Powersupply - not holding voltage.

Ed White edvwhite at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 1 14:13:55 AKDT 2009

I was having similar problems on Cellpro's with the power supply I was using (not Iota).  Looking at the voltage input to the charger on an oscilloscope shows the load from the Cellpro's is far from steady and way too fast to see on a meter.  Switching power supplies really prefer a steady load.  I thought about capacitors and did some calculations, but at the currents we're drawing, they have to be very big.  I tried some ones I had around (15,000 uF) and that helped, just a little. As John said, you really have to look at it on an o-scope to see if you're doing any good.

I ended up modifying the computer power supplies I'm using to put out higher voltage.  That seems to be enough to keep the Cellpro's satisfied though I run them at less than full power.

Ed