[NSRCA-discussion] Why did you join the NSRCA?

davidmichael1 at comcast.net davidmichael1 at comcast.net
Sat Jan 31 10:56:01 AKST 2009

Some good discussion today.  Hope I can add a different perspective.  I joined NSRCA last year- part way through the year- with the plan to begin flying some pattern (I flew one pattern contest and six IMAC).  I still plan on flying in a couple pattern contests this year and in the future.

I tend to agree that pattern and IMAC are just different- but it's still precision aerobatics at its heart.  Having said that I think that the IMAC guys have been much more active in promoting their cause and making sure that the organization gives value back for the membership.  I also agree that IMAC has the real advantage of high end money events (TOC, Masters, Tuscon Shootout and now Clover Creek) but this is kind of a chicken and egg thing- is IMAC big because of the events or is it the other way around?  And there is no discounting the value of having so many IMAC planes of all sizes available on the market right now- but again, why is that?  More people like them.

Having said all this, I do believe NSRCA can improve, raise visibility, its value and membership if it wants to.  I do not mean any of the following to offend or belittle the work that has been done by NSRCA officers or volunteers- but I think it is worth saying that what NSRCA membership  offers, the K-Factor and the website- the big three marketing vehicles- is not where it needs to be anymore.

1) I  haven't yet re-joined NSRCA-  if I do it will be just to support the organization, so the question in my mind is "is it worth joining?"   After trying it out, my perception is that the value, to me, of an  NSRCA membership is not that great .    I understand that the organization provides n ew sequences every few years and a voice with the AMA- but what else?  Part of growing an organization is merchandising what you have done for its members.  I may be missing the value- so I say advertise what NSRCA membership offers- if it's not enough then the NSRCA needs to figure out how to fix that.

2) I know now that it is plainly stated but I have to mention that I didn't like that the membership ended at the end of the year-  I didn't get a full year out of my membership.  I would like to see memberships end on the one year anniversary- not the calendar year.  By the way, when I sign into the IMAC site it says what my membership is good through and I can print out a membership card anytime.

3) Honestly, I see the K-Factor as "old news" by the time I get it.  These days the expectation is to get news instantly-  for example contest results or articles.  With sites like RCU and Flying Giants, you can even get mid-contest results after the first day.   The IMAC site, by comparison, provides quick updates on contests results and an archive of past contests.

4) I think the NSRCA website needs to be more robust  and be updated more frequently if it is intended to attract and keep members.  I thank all who have and are working on the site now- but I am struggling to find a way to say this without offending or being ungrateful- so I'll just say it- take a look at the IMAC site and compare:  www.mini-iac.com

5) For what it's worth I would like to see new sequences every year and unknowns.  I mentioned this about a year ago on this same list and the majority of responses were against unknowns.  If I recall correctly there were many who felt that they wouldn't want to have an unknown decide their placing.  To me, sequences that change annually and being able to fly an unknown is a true indicator of your flying skills- as opposed to just getting good at a set of manuevers that you have been flying for 2-3 years over and over again.

Dave