[NSRCA-discussion] Happy New Year

Mike Hester kerlock at comcast.net
Thu Jan 8 08:12:11 AKST 2009

LOL None taken =) There's still plenty of wood out there. Heck even the
Oxais have balsa all in there....it's just one of those materials that have
a really good strength to weight ratio for what we do.

All composite is neat, but pricey in some cases, and has it's drawbacks too.
A nice blend of everything is a good smart way to go, IMHO.

This "roots" discussion is really neat. It's amazing how far we have
traveled in such a relatively short time! Think about it, a Prophecy was
state of the art just a few years ago....now look. It looks like a big
Curare compared to what we fly today in general. Only, not as sexy.

On sorta the same subject, take a close look at something that's going on
pretty quietly. Ballistic style planes are taking off again (no pun
intended). Don't know why, but a lot of us just got a kick out of piped and
retract planes, and a lot of people are acquiring them to play with. I just
saw where even Chad Northeast just picked up a sweet Aurora! Atlantas,
Curares, UFOs, Pheonixes, and yours truly just acquired the molds to the LA1
(quite by accident, but it's cool!)

We have "BPA" meets (Ballistic Pattern Association) down here in D3, and
it's always a good time. More emphasis on the planes and having crazy fun
than actually scoring. Speed rules!

It doesn't replace 2 meter stuff for any of us, but it is a nice break and
something cool to do. Same idea, different flavor.

-Mike