[NSRCA-discussion] Happy New Year

billglaze billglaze at bellsouth.net
Thu Jan 8 06:40:46 AKST 2009

You and Ron vP are really taking me down memory lane--I love it!  Along with
the touch and go, there was the 3 turn spiral dive; full aileron and up
elevator.  Probably other maneuvers I'll remember later. As far as the touch
and go being after (anything) it was pilot's option as to order of
maneuvers, (Other than the compulsory stuff) with everyone making up their
own order of sequence.  In fact, it was the order of the day to ask the
judge "is anything left?" (on the score sheet) after you had finished up,
and before you called "landing" to make sure you hadn't forgotten any
maneuvers.
Also, I recall ~1957, being contest director at a LARKS contest in Turlock.
This out-of-the-way town in the Central Valley of Calif. closed their
lightplane airport for the weekend, and we held our contest at that unusual
place to get some participation from the Bay Area modelers, Dale Root being
the principal flyer.  I remember saying to my wife, (who ably assisted me)
"well, we at least had an average sized turnout."  The turnout?  144
contestants.
Sorry to be so long winded; most others are probably not that interested in
this stuff.  Shutting up now.  Bill