[NSRCA-discussion] 1990 & 1991 Nationals

J N Hiller jnhiller at earthlink.net
Sat Jan 3 08:56:22 AKST 2009

Good morning all. This is the third day in over two weeks I haven't had to
clear a path to the morning paper. It is only -2 degrees with sunshine,
great day.
Every year about this time I file last year's model magazines. When the
shelf is full the older issues are discarded. I usually look through them
before throwing them away. The November 1990 issue has NATS coverage by Ron
Van Putte and Paul Verger. There were 47-Sportsman, 38-Advanced, 25 Expert
Turnaround, 18 Masters and 84-FAI. There are many great photos of pilots
still competing nationally and a nice partial listing of equipment. Hatori,
Tru-Turn, APC and Futaba appear to be dominant. These early turnaround
airplanes were for the most part evolving re-propped ballistic airplanes
with only a few using the YS-120.
The November 1991 equipment listing and photos looked about the same and
workers were conscripted for a half-day service from the entrants by random
drawing. The penalty for non-compliance was a zero on their next round.
If anyone would like these issue contact me off list with shipping info.
Thanks Ron for your many years of great pattern coverage.
Jim