[NSRCA-discussion] Flying 09 Masters

J N Hiller jnhiller at earthlink.net
Sat Feb 28 11:41:50 AKST 2009

Often times my positioning errors are inherited from previous maneuvers and
a more relaxed pace here allows more time to plan the fix and my composure.
As a full height maneuver with only 1/2 rolls on the vertical lines the
rhythm is better / slower if its flown with large radiuses. The following
maneuver if flown full height is wider than a full height square loop,
leaving little room for the preceding separation line. The preceding two
maneuvers commit the top line to full height and a late start to the 45 down
line commits it to being off center or flown small, exiting at mid altitude,
probably legal but ugly.
With significant head wind it works well to fly the down line at box end
especially if the octagon exit is blown down wind and the power isn't taken
off soon enough as the near down line comes up rather fast and if the wind
is high or I screw up I will fly it as shown on the power point. I decide
when exiting the octagon if a fix is needed. Most of the time I find that it
preserves the rhythm better to pull down into the near line and up at the
box boundary, which is much more visible looking across the ground rather
than up in the sky besides I find it easier to fly a pull bottom. Maybe I
need a better airplane but I doubt that it would improve my flight scores
very much.
Flying in significant wind from any direction requires flexibility to one's
flight plan and a lot of fixing, at least my flights do.
Jim