[NSRCA-discussion] Receiver packs

Ed Alt ed_alt at hotmail.com
Sat Feb 14 12:26:12 AKST 2009

Jerry:
Using A123 batteries requires extra vigilance, since they have a very flat discharge curve for most of their capacity (after an initial quick drop), right up to the point where you have little usable capacity left.  As a result, you won't be able to gauge remaining capacity with a meter, although you can estimate it once you can experience with typical discharge characteristics.  As long as everything with your servo current drain remains consistent and healthy, you can pick a reasonable quitting point after X flights.  I'm not sure what the appeal of these batteries is for a flight pack application. One drawback is that you run the servos at a fairly high voltage, which might damage some servos.  If you add regulators, that problem is alleviated, but overall you have a heavier solution than with a LiPo set.  Enhanced charging safety is really all that you are buying.

I think the thing that should be realized is that a set of 2 cell 480 or 730 mAh LiPo's have an extraordinarily easy life when all they are doing is powering a flight pack.  You can get many more cycles out of then than NiCad or NiMH packs and they have much better end of life performance.  I just don't see what the concern is.

Ed