[NSRCA-discussion] Cell Pro chargers

Keith Black tkeithblack at gmail.com
Sun Feb 8 11:58:48 AKST 2009

I also have two Cell Pro 10s chargers, though I got them after last season
and have not used them too much. I really like the fact that they brings
cells up to peak individually. With my TP1010, which I've used without
problem for 3 years, it's a bit of a hassle to get perfect balance because
if one cell is low the charger takes all other cells to capacity then drains
all cells to match the low one(s). Normally this isn't that big of a deal,
but at times it can take hours to slowly discharge all cells down to the one
that's low (and I'm not talking about significant delta).  Then if you want
to be at peak you have to charge again.

The only real downsides I've seen to the cell pro so far are:

1.       You can't use it to discharge. Recently I'm trying not to charge
unless I know I'm going flying the next or the same day. If I charge then
I'm not able to go fly I like to drain the batteries down to the suggested
storage  level. The Cell Pro's don't discharge so I've kept my TP1010's so I
can discharge (though they are WAY slow at this).

2.       You can't use the Cell Pros w/o balancing taps. I have some LiPo RX
packs that don't have balancing taps and I was able to charge these at the
field with my TP1010 but can't with the Cell Pro. Not a huge deal, just a
bit of a hassle.

Keith Black