[NSRCA-discussion] Mandatory Advancment

Woodward, Jim (US SSA) jim.woodward at baesystems.com
Wed Feb 4 08:50:16 AKST 2009

My experience in flying and judging unknowns, locally and at a Nats, is this:

In order to adequately judge unknowns you should have a scribe and an aresti-caller.  This person is experienced and reads ahead the elements of each maneuver so you as a judge can stay watching the maneuver and right on queue.

If you put this in practice like we do in the SE IMAC region, judging the unknowns is not a problem, and rarely more of a problem that typical known round judging.

However, I disagree with your assessment about experienced pilots being able to execute an unknown if only the caller is on the ball.  Flying unknown sequences is a skill that is undeveloped in pattern pilots.  On paper it looks simple enough, but in execution, it is totally different animal.  I can name pilots either way that fly so-so knowns, then fly better unknowns, and pilots that fly GREAT knowns, and lose focus on unknowns.... (the first "skill" that needs nourishment is the ability to truly listen and fly exactly what the caller says and when.  Memorizing an unknown then flying it, is not a practice often used with the IMAC guys.)

Thanks,
Jim