[NSRCA-discussion] YS 140 FZ: loads up and dies 2500 - 4500 rpm

Troy Newman troy at troynewman.net
Mon Feb 2 17:34:30 AKST 2009

Paul,

Look toward the exhaust system on this one and not the engine. Not that
a really bad ring or a bad piston could be the issue, but I often have
seen issues with the exhaust system.

The symptoms suggest a plugged exhaust.

What pipe are you using. If it's a CF pipe I will bet that is where the
issue is.

Sticking regulator parts could be a result be these will show at idle
more.

One more thing is smoke trail is not a sign of rich on the YS engines.
It usually is a sign of being too hot. When the engine gets really hot
as in over heated the oil will flash on the exhaust system and burn. If
the exhaust system is plugged up in some way this will cause
overheating.

I know you are not talking about a DZ but the Dingo engines like that
30% heli fuel. It has the Low-Vis oil. This oil will flash at lower
temps. So you always have a smoke trail lean or rich. Get it really lean
or really hot and it will smoke like crazy at the mid throttle settings.

Look to Exhaust blockage, header, coupler, pipe. If its  CF pipe you
should replace it or remove it and see if the engine acts normally.
Another option is a semi clocked up fuel filter. I know it sounds funny
as if its clogged it won't load up....Here is why I say that. A semi
clogged fuel filter will require really rich HS needle settings, 2.5-3
turns open...but at full power its starving for fuel and heating up
getting really hot. Then you throttle back to mid stick and the HS is so
rich it's trying to flood it. The excess heat from running lean at the
top end, added with the excess fuel in the middle means tons of smoke.

Next thing if it's not exhaust is we can look inside at a few things. If
you are interested I can see what's up with the engine. Contact me off
list and we'll get you fixed up. It is something simple I'm sure the
140FZ, 140 Sport are just too docile of motors to have much wrong with
them. If all else fails you can send it to me and I'll get it setup and
right.

Send me a note on my Blog

www.patternflyer.com/troy

I'll respond within a couple days if not right away. My work load is
starting to let up just a little.

Troy