[NSRCA-discussion] Why did you join the NSRCA?

Matthew Frederick mjfrederick at cox.net
Sun Feb 1 23:05:24 AKST 2009

Chris,

I support pattern. However, I refuse to equate supporting pattern with being a member of the NSRCA. That doesn't mean that I won't join again, just explaining why I'm hesitant to at this time. I support pattern by going to my local contests, and some not-so-local contests when I can. I support pattern by helping out my fellow pilots with advice, coaching, calling, emergency repairs/parts, whatever I can. I especially look to help the newcomers and encourage their progress. I'm even looking into having my club host a contest next year. Pattern is what I do, so please don't try to make it sound like I don't support it because I haven't renewed my membership.

I know that the K-Factor starves for content. I don't hold you accountable for that fact. I have contributed to the K-Factor before by helping write Bryan Hebert's trim article. I've considered writing other things as well, just haven't really gotten around to it. My point on the K-Factor was that the NSRCA is wasting money by making it as long as it is. Results tables and 3-month old pictures from contests fill space, but ultimately that's all they do. It's old news.

Keep in mind what I write here is simply my opinion, and I know many out there disagree with it. I bring these issues up because so many people leave this sport, or at least the NSRCA, without ever letting anyone know why. I'm at a point where I'm trying to justify remaining a member of an organization that really has no apparent benefits to me. If nothing else, perhaps the leadership can come to a better understanding of why membership numbers are on the decline.

Matt