[NSRCA-discussion] Pattern Classes & Growth

J N Hiller jnhiller at earthlink.net
Sun Feb 1 09:37:31 AKST 2009

Dennis your dedication is admirable and describes rather well the problem I
see with the mandatory advancement system.
It is based on performance of others, or lack of, rather than individual
capability. In short flying against more capable competitors reduces
premature mandatory advancement.
Flying a sequence for 4 years can get old especially if improvement stalls.
I pay close attention to raw score averages, both individual maneuvers and
total flight, and use it as a guide to understanding problem areas and gauge
improvement. It is also a very good indicator of flight-to-flight
consistency and the ability to control the flight in adverse conditions.
Even more rewarding than winning the round, contest or district championship
was maintaining my average flight score in very windy conditions.
Pattern flying can be very rewarding.
Jim Hiller