[NSRCA-discussion] Why did you join the NSRCA?

Martin X. Moleski, SJ moleski at canisius.edu
Sun Feb 1 09:15:10 AKST 2009

Lisa & Larry wrote:

> Webmasters are very under appreciated....

We have to thank a lot of people for what they do: officers, K-Factor
editor, judging team, NATs organizers, contest directors, callers,
teachers, etc., etc.

Web team members are somewhere on that list.  :o)

> ... that individual, I believe, has a whole new
> perspective on being a webmaster.

"Another F[ree] Growth Opportunity."

> I have and pay for my own domain even still to this day which is where the
> district website was located while I maintained it. I haven't done anything
> with it since. I purchased MS FrontPage to help support this effort.

I'm not going to tally the time or money I've spent as acting
webmaster.  I enjoy working on this stuff--it's a hobby for me.

> ***A webmaster is only as good as those who provide the input necessary on
> time and others who volunteer to make life easier for them***

"Content is King."

See the third of fifteen articles on this list:

http://nsrca.us/howto/starting.html

Besides putting the system together, I try to document how it
works and provide tutorials for webteam members and end-users.

I was kidding about being willing to move from Joomla to DotNuke.
I'm invested--personally invested--in what we're doing here.

> Marty, I truly appreciate your efforts in improving our website. It is a
> work in progress. I suggest that anyone who wishes to criticize a webmaster,
> you should ask what you can do to help first. If there is anything I can do
> to help, let me know. My knowledge is limited, but I can learn....

I have just made you a manager on the system.

We won't go into all the powers this gives you.

The big thing is that you can log in as an administrator
in the back end and compose an article.

We need more interesting content.  Can you think of
something interesting?  That's harder than doing
PHP and MySQL.  ;o)

> A webmaster is truly a thankless job ...

I knew that when I volunteered.  I've gotten what I
signed up for.  :-O

> ... that takes a certain type of person to
> volunteer and take that role.

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder is not all bad.

> IMAC's website...There are many things I don't like about the site and some
> things I do. Is it more polished than NSRCA? I don't really know...What do
> you like better a Firebird or a Camaro? Both had the same frame and engine
> options, just a little different on the outside appearance.

That's how it looks to me.  There are some real differences
under the chrome, too.

We can mess with the site template.  Not me today.  We can
install the Template Changer Module and hook it to a
menu item in the Webteam area.  It lets you see how our
site content looks in different templates.

				Marty