[NSRCA-discussion] Weight limit in AMA classes

patterndude at tx.rr.com patterndude at tx.rr.com
Sat Dec 12 10:03:41 AKST 2009

Wherever any limit is set there will be efforts by competitors to get the most out of their design within the rules. The high cost of the top designs is in their manufacturing cost (laminated fuses, use of expensive materials, highly skilled technicians to assemble). This will never change. If you can pay more to get more many will.
   Our weight and size limits bound this effort and alignment with FAI helps increase our market size. However, it does make sense for AMA to support novice builders and a secondary market for used planes by relaxing the weight limit in classes below the top class. We offer multiple classes to provide a developmental path for our piloting and trimming skills, why not provide this same path for new builders?

Lance
Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T