[NSRCA-discussion] Weight limit in AMA classes

James Oddino joddino at socal.rr.com
Sat Dec 12 09:45:58 AKST 2009

Back in the day when I was flying at the team selection meets, I believe the planes had to be over a certain wing loading.  No maximum was specified.  The airplane size was generally limited by the 10 cc engine size but I do remember some Chicago guys building 80 or 90 inch wingspan planes.  They were not an advantage.

There was a guy from England on the FAI committee that wanted to reduce the engine size to .40 ci  (6.5 cc).  I believe he thought it would reduce costs and increase the difficulty.  I'm glad no one listened to him.  I say leave the rule as is.

Jim