[NSRCA-discussion] Why can't I use my NSRCA credentials to access the Forum?

Martin X. Moleski, SJ moleski at canisius.edu
Tue Dec 1 15:25:49 AKST 2009

An unhappy NSRCA member just sent me an e-mail.

I've added some new hints to the top of the NSRCA Forum
to help newcomers get started there:

http://nsrca.us/Forum/

I've started a new thread on the topic in the Forum itself.

Here, FWIW, is my reply to the new member's e-mail:

 > I’ve been trying to break the code for registering for the forums for
 > about a half hour. Can’t get past the invalid security code, password
 > circle.

The forum is connected to Joomla, our Content Mangement
System.

To access the forum, you have to register here first:

<http://www.nsrca.us/component/comprofiler/registers.html>

I don't see anyone in the database with your name and
e-mail address.

 > Why is this so complicated?

How long a discussion would you like?  I can answer your
question at many levels:

- computer are like that

- we have to be protected from vandals and spam

- you get what you pay for; the website is run by
   volunteers (like me) who donate hundreds of hours
   for free to the organization

- resistance to change on the part of some of the
   volunteers

<http://www.nsrca.us/component/content/article/142-article/279-two-sites.html>

- Original Sin

 > Are we trying to discourage members
 > from accessing forums ...

We have to have locked doors because if we leave them unlocked,
bat things would happen to the website.

 > ... or am I just too stupid to figure it out.

I'll ask our Forum volunteer to provide more clues in
the Forum itself.

 > (I’m
 > kind of frustrated)

Me, too.  If you're volunteering to take my place as
Webmaster, you may have it.  If you're volunteering
to pay for the services of aa professional to
complete the transition to the new system, I'm sure
your donation would be most welcome.  If you want to
access the forum, create an account on the new login
page and watch for the confirmation e-mail.  If you
do not get it reasonably soon, let me know; some ISPs
block e-mail from the site.

                 Marty