[NSRCA-discussion] Li-Po Question -- SAFETY!!!!

Martin X. Moleski, SJ moleski at canisius.edu
Sun Aug 30 08:47:06 AKDT 2009

Phil Spelt wrote:

 > ... I still don't believe that lithium
> going into the ecosystem is safe, however...I'll do mine my way.

Lithium is the lightest metal (the third element in the periodic
table).  Nickle (AN 28) and Cadmium (AN 48) are heavy metals by contrast.

Lithium is highly reactive.  Cadmium is toxic.  Nickle is neither.

<http://www2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/vEnvironmental?storeId=15001>

CR Lithium
Safe for disposal in the municipal waste stream. Non-consumers should first
fully discharge the battery prior to disposal.

Lithium-Ion
All Panasonic Lithium Ion batteries are classified by the federal government as
non-hazardous waste and are safe for disposal in the normal municipal waste
stream. These batteries, however, do contain recyclable materials and are
accepted for recycling by the Rechargeable Battery Recycling Corporation's
(RBRC) Battery Recycling Program. Please call 1-800-8-BATTERY for information
on recycling your used Lithium Ion battery or go to the RBRC website at
www.rbrc.org for additional information.

Recycling is not required but may make good sense anyway:
<http://blogs.computerworld.com/node/3285>.

				Marty