[NSRCA-discussion] Li-Po Question

AtwoodDon at aol.com AtwoodDon at aol.com
Sun Aug 30 06:16:45 AKDT 2009

There are many ways to drain the battery down to safe levels.  I have
heard the lipos are 'safe' anywhere below 2V per cell, however, I figure as
long as I have something draining them, I just leave them on the load until
they  are basically 'dead'.

For anything up to 3 cells, I use an automobile tail light bulb.  Just
solder 2 leads onto the bulb at the 2 contact points and clip the other ends
onto the battery leads.  For a 5 cell pack, I would use 2 bulbs in  series.
Put them in a safe area, clip the bulbs on and leave them for a  couple
days.  Check the voltage from time to time and when it gets down to  about zero,
just throw the battery in the trash.

I tried the salt water bath approach and it didn't do anything for  me.
After a couple days, the voltage had declined very little so I took  the light
bulb approach.  Actually anything that puts a load on the  batteries will
work.  A large resistor, light bulb, old brushed motor,  etc.

Don

In a message dated 8/30/2009 6:10:08 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,