[NSRCA-discussion] SD-10

Anthony Frackowiak frackowiak at sbcglobal.net
Mon Aug 24 20:55:32 AKDT 2009

I'll try to explain this as I understand it. With a 2048 system you
get 2048 TX step outputs through the entire stick travel only if the
electronic throws in the TX are set to Max. Say that's 150% Travel at
100% Dual Rate. Those numbers vary amongst the brands and models but
this is a start. Any reduction from there will reduce the 2048 by some
percentage. Let's say Travel is set to 100% and Dual Rate remains
100%. You have just reduced the number of steps by 33% so now you're
down to around 1350. If you reduce the Dual Rate to 80% from there
you're now flying on 1080. If this started out as a 1024 you would end
up at 540. I guarantee you'll feel the difference between 1080 and 540.

I always try to maximize the electronic throws and set the mechanicals
to get the surface travel I desire. But some things are inevitable. To
get the model to properly break in a spin takes a lot of elevator
deflection, so I end up flying with DR set to 50% or so for normal
flying. The higher 2048 system makes a difference with this sort of an
example. And I do believe the better servos will respond to this fine
of a command.

Hope this isn't too confusing.

TonyF

On Aug 24, 2009, at 8:14 PM, Atwood, Mark wrote:

> The resolution is for the full throw of the servo. If you bump your
> endpoints up to 150% and have 135deg of travel, you have 512 / 1024
> or 2048 individual points in between.  At a normal 100% that's
> across 90degs of throw.  If you dial your endpoints down, it's
> spread across a smaller arc.
>
> We're talking about extremely fine movement even at 512 resolution.
>
> What's nice is that all the components of the Accuracy "system" are
> improving together.  The pots in the new radios (all brands) are
> significantly more accurate, the digital servos of all brands are
> significantly more accurate, and our linkage systems continue to
> improve as well.  My argument was simply that after 1024 (and
> probably lower actually), the resolution is probably not the "weak
> link" in the accuracy chain.  We have too much slop elsewhere.  Even
> a tight servo has some lash, as do the connections to the servo and
> even movement of the control surface on the hingeline.
>
> Admittedly though, On a LARGE control surface like a 40% IMAC
> Rudder, you can still see the surface "Step" if you move it slowly
> and watch carefully even with 1024.  So to say that 2048 is not
> smoother would be foolish.  But on our pattern planes and the throws
> we use, the other sources of error take resolution off the critical
> path to more accuracy.
>
> So to slightly change the topic, how do we get spec's on the
> resolution/accuracy of the servos?  Does anyone publish that? (I'm
> pretty sure Atx doesn't).  That would be as important than just
> about any other spec I would think.

>>> 3:30