[NSRCA-discussion] Stupid accident

Phil Spelt chuenkan at comcast.net
Mon Aug 24 13:57:35 AKDT 2009

Well, Jon, *I* mark the FLAP channel servo and Rx
leads -- does that make me weird, or what??? :-Dmao

It does save me from reversing them -- since I
use spoilers for landing, it means the spoilers
go UP as they should, rather than DOWN...

At 11:09 AM 8/24/2009, you wrote:
> [...]
>August 24, 2009, 10:35 AM Just “wiggling”
>doesn’t do it. After changing servos, I
>“wiggled” and everything was fine .. until
>airborne. The new servos rotated the opposite
>direction and the ailerons were reversed! Â  Jay
>Marshall -----Original Message----- From:
>nsrca-discussion-bounces at lists.nsrca.org
>[mailto:nsrca-discussion-bounces at lists.nsrca.org]
>  On Behalf Of Richard Strickland Sent: Monday,
>August 24, 2009 10:28 AM To: General pattern
>discussion Subject: Re: [NSRCA-discussion]
>Stupid accident   There was an old saw about
>pilots who had landed gear up this reminds me
>of: "There are two types of pilots--those that
>have landed gear up and those that are going
>to.." And then a few--well actually many years
>ago--there was another article in FLYINGÂ by a
>guy who had landed gear up for the second
>time...  So he changed it to: "There are three
>types of pilots--those that have, those that are
>going to--and those that are going to
>again..."Â  I lost a perfect Tipo 750 way back
>and   a nice Temptation more recently by not
>plugging in the ailerons and was distracted both
>times during assembly--and not wiggling the
>surfaces prior to take-off. RS
>From: jpavlick at idseng.com To:
>nsrca-discussion at lists.nsrca.org Date: Mon, 24
>Aug 2009 00:53:11 -0400 Subject: Re:
>[NSRCA-discussion] Stupid accident Been there
>done that. But only once... so far... Â  John
>Pavlick http://www.idseng.com ----- Original
>Message ----- From: Ronald Van Putte To: Jim
>Quinn ; General pattern discussion Sent:
>Saturday, August 22, 2009 5:50 PM Subject: Re:
>[NSRCA-discussion] Stupid accident   My
>favorite "trick" is to neglect to attach the
>aileron servo connections if I am disturbed
>while assembling the airplane. Â Consequently,
>John Fuqua asks me to "wiggle the sticks" before
>carrying the airplane out; it's saved my
>airplane twice already. Â  Ron VP Â  On Aug 22,
>2009, at 4:44 PM, Jim Quinn wrote: Â  Wow! I saw
>these planes at Toledo and the Nats! I'm really
>sorry. They were/are beautiful trophy winners in
>Toledo. I agree with Don, make a routine and
>stick with it. A good budfdfy of mine recently
>had 9 stitches from a mini electric (smaller
>than a 1/2 glow) when his throttle went to high,
>he grabbed the wing and the plane20spun around
>and struck his hand. Â  Jim Quinn
>Â  Â
>From: "Atwood, Mark" <atwoodm at paragon-inc.com>
>To: General pattern discussion
><nsrca-discussion at lists.nsrca.org> Sent:
>Saturday, August 22, 2009 2:45:03 PM Subject:
>[NSRCA-discussion] Stupid accident Hey All,
>Â  Had a bad morning this morning because I got
>careless, and because I altered my normal
>habits. I normally have my neck strap tucked
>into my shirt starting the airplane, but this
>morning I simply clipped it onto the Tx while it
>was sitting on the ground.   Started my
>primary Black Magic, had it sitting on idle,
>picked up my Tx and somehow turned the Tx funny
enough
>to make the plane jump forward starttling
>me.  In the split second that I moved to catch
>it, the strap moved the throttle higher and
>before I could recover it, it slammed the wing
>into the table next to me hard enough to snap
>the entire fuselage into two pieces.    I was
>very fortunate that no one was injured and that
>no other equipment was damaged, but I was
>crushed to watch (in slow motion of course) such
>catastrophic damage occur to the
>plane.  They’re just=2 0not meant for that
>type of abrupt side load. Â  Anyhow, just wanted
>to throw out the warning.  I’ve picked up my
>tx 1000 times without incident, but seldom do I
>have the strap attached.  Just not my routine.
>But one odd movement can make things go VERY
>wrong, VERY fast.  Be careful, be methodical,
>and don’t change your habits.   Mark PS,
>probably repairable over the winter.  Fuse is
>in 2 pieces with a lot of damage, and the wing
>that hit is pretty messed up.  It’ll be a
>project for
>sure.

-->There are only two types of aircraft -- fighters and targets.

Phil Spelt, Webmaster & Past President, Knox County Radio Control Society, Inc.