[NSRCA-discussion] Stupid accident

Phil Spelt chuenkan at comcast.net
Sat Aug 22 16:09:44 AKDT 2009

Ron,

I ALWAYS "wiggle the sticks" before EVERY flight,
just to make D@^#@ sure...I also check the Rx
battery after every flight, just to make D@^#@ sure...

At 05:50 PM 8/22/2009, you wrote:
>My favorite "trick" is to neglect to attach the
>aileron servo connections if I am disturbed
>while assembling the airplane.  Consequently,
>John Fuqua asks me to "wiggle the sticks" before
>carrying the airplane out; it's saved my airplane twice already.
>
>Ron VP
>
>On Aug 22, 2009, at 4:44 PM, Jim Quinn wrote:
>
>>Wow! I saw these planes at Toledo and the Nats!
>>I'm really sorry. They were/are beautiful
>>trophy winners in Toledo. I agree with Don,
>>make a routine and stick with it. A good
>>budfdfy of mine recently had 9 stitches from a
>>mini electric (smaller than a 1/2 glow) when
>>his throttle went to high, he grabbed the wing
>>and the plane spun around and struck his hand.
>>
>>Jim Quinn
>>

>>From: "Atwood, Mark"

enough
>>to make the plane jump forward startling
>>me.  In the split second that I moved to catch
>>it, the strap moved the throttle higher and
>>before I could recover it, it slammed the wing
>>into the table next to me hard enough to snap
>>the entire fuselage into two pieces.
>>

>>I was very fortunate that no one was injured
>>and that no other equipment was damaged, but I
>>was crushed to watch (in slow motion of course)
>>such catastrophic damage occur to the
>>plane.  They’re just not meant for that type of abrupt side load.
>>

>>Anyhow, just wanted to throw out the
>>warning.  I’ve picked up my tx 1000 times
>>without incident, but seldom do I have the
>>strap attached.  Just not my routine. But one
>>odd movement can make things go VERY wrong,
>>VERY fast.  Be careful, be methodical, and don’t change your habits.
>>

>>Mark
>>
>>PS, probably repairable over the winter.  Fuse
>>is in 2 pieces with a lot of damage, and the
>>wing that hit is pretty messed up.  It’ll be a project for sure.

-->There are only two types of aircraft -- fighters and targets.

Phil Spelt, Webmaster & Past President, Knox County Radio Control Society, Inc.