[NSRCA-discussion] Soldering to LiPo battery tabs

Ed Alt ed_alt at hotmail.com
Sat Aug 22 05:58:27 AKDT 2009

Thanks.

From: nsrca-discussion-bounces at lists.nsrca.org
[mailto:nsrca-discussion-bounces at lists.nsrca.org] On Behalf Of Stuart Chale
Sent: Saturday, August 22, 2009 9:11 AM
To: General pattern discussion
Subject: Re: [NSRCA-discussion] Soldering to LiPo battery tabs

Yes it is aluminum.  Generally one tab is nickel plated I believe which is
easy to solder to and the other is aluminum.  I bought some special flux and
solder which does work,  I think the zinc flux here is the same, used with
zinc solder
http://www.cheapbatterypacks.com/?sid=2036126
<http://www.cheapbatterypacks.com/?sid=2036126&pgid=bldg> &pgid=bldg

And it is still beautiful out :)
Stu

Ed Alt wrote:

I'm having trouble getting ordinary silver bearing solder to flow and bond
with the metal tabs at the end of some 5000 mAh LiPo cells.  What's
interesting is that I can re-solder to any spot where it was originally
soldered by the manufacturer, but I can't start a new solder joint.  I've
tried extensive cleaning of the metal, no luck.  Does anyone know what the
material is that those tabs are made from?  Is it an aluminum alloy of some
type?

Thanks

Ed

  _____