[NSRCA-discussion] YS170 at 96dB

Troy Newman troy at troynewman.net
Tue Aug 4 18:41:50 AKDT 2009

Tom,

Yes the 19-11 is excellent on the engine. Its sounds different and low
RPMS about 7300 or so. I have been playing with some of them modifying
the prop a little and don't have anything specific that is better...but
I have a couple things I have done that I like...but they are not
repeatable. Sort of a 1 of a kind prop if you know what I mean.

Depending on your model and conditions the 18.11 and 12 are really good
on the CDI.  In the 115deg summertime here in PHX AZ I actually like the
18-11 it's a light load and better power in the heat. The 19-11 is a
pretty good load on the engine. You have to be careful to get it set
properly. I'm running 5% oil content in my engines and have excellent
results so far....in the last year. I think the engines run a little
cooler and more consistent without the extra oil. The problem is the
needle becomes sensitive, in some cases very sensitive with the lower
oil contents. This is one reason the min recommended by YS is 10% oil.
Its easier to set.

My idea was I wanted to see how long I could go on 5% oil. I have one
engine at about 30gallons (350+ flights) of 5% oil and another at about
200flights. They are both just humming along awesome....I fly on
pavement all the time, so bearings are not an issue I can go 600+flights
before I change just because.  I usually will put a new ring in about
300-400 flights. A ring is like $20. My first CDI is still up on power
and doesn't need a new ring yet so I'm just running it until I have a
problem.

I find the CDI is more consistent and cooler in most cases than the glow
plug version. I don't have heating issues in the summer here in PHX so
much with the CDI. The Glow version will get temperamental at these high
ambient temps. The CDI doesn't seem to care. Now I will say normal 30%
heli fuel performance (low vis oil) or the Low Smoke version is the 20%
regular oil. Both work excellent in the engine. I just really like the
5% oil content is performs best for me...but you have to be a little
better on the needle valve to run the low oil content down below 10%.
Takes a little bit of an ear for the engine.

I usually will break the engine in on the regular low vis oil 30% heli
and then about 1-2gallons go to the 5% oil content. I have had extremely
good results this way.

Troy