[NSRCA-discussion] E-Question HXT motors

Mike Hester kerlock at comcast.net
Thu Sep 25 08:59:22 AKDT 2008

Ok, some in depth answers.

We did in fact test this motor last season on a Black Magic V2, flying masters. We used the HXT 63-64B 230kv motor. We used a CC HV85 controller, Tanic and vampower packs.

Power is certainly not a problem for this motor. It is fairly comparable to the AXI. 2700 watts, 82 amps, 6200 RPM on an APC 20x14. the motor never got over 110 degrees.

Longevity: we got well over 100 flights on it before the plane was lost, no problems whatsoever. This was using Esprit stand off mounts as well, o nose mounting.

No can issues, nothing, it just delivered. your results may vary of course. These are "cheap" chinese motors and you do not have the support structure in place like the name brands. but considering you can buy almost 4 of them for the price of one AXI, it's pretty interesting.

I've run a lot of these chinese motors and maybe I'm just lucky, but I just don't have problems. I keep hearing about problems with darned near everything, including name brand stuff, and the only issue we've run into yet was a very early bearing failure with an AXI...that's all. Ever.

I have yet to install one of these on a VF3, and wonder about it because by it's very nature you will have to use more power to fly it. I realize 82 amps is a lot, but the packs never got warm, nor did the speed control or motor, so who knows.

in short, if this is your first forray into electrics of this size, you would probably be better off with the AXI just from the standpoint of support. But so far I can't find a thing wrong with this motor, or else I am just that lucky (and THAT is highly unlikely, trust me!)

-Mike