[NSRCA-discussion] Corrosives - Electronics Burning

brian young brian_w_young at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 9 10:14:31 AKDT 2008

The silicone brought this to my mind. I had a speed control roast in my plane this spring, it smoked up pretty good and pretty well looked like a charcoal briquet;  but luckily nothing else burnt in the plane and the batteries didnt get damaged (apparently) as the leads desoldered and opened the circuit.

I noticed the next time out that every screw or bare metal part exposed inside the fuse had a rust coating on it. Im curious if the insulation on the PC board or wires burn producing a corrosive gas; anyone?

Then that makes me wonder about the receiver and wire connections in the radio..although I have since replaced the receiver.