[NSRCA-discussion] Electric pattern recommended equipment

Tom Simes simestd at netexpress.com
Mon Sep 8 14:25:28 AKDT 2008

On Mon, 8 Sep 2008 17:08:25 -0500
"Nat Penton" <natpenton at centurytel.net> wrote:

> Heat is public enemy number 1 as far as Lipo battery life is
> concerned. If you can keep cell temps below 150F you can expect 150
> plus cycles.
>
> I don't have all the answers as to how to handle the cooling in the
> widebodies.    Nat

Conformal external batteries or heat sink plate?  The fins could serve
double duty as boundary layer control...  Ok, maybe I'm a little over
caffeinated today ;)  Still though, imagine a battery retention
mechanism where the cells intermeshed with heatsink fins to both
secure the pack and transfer the heat.  Sure would beat some of the odd
phase change potting compound schemes used in missles and other "one
way" aircraft.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conformal_fuel_tank

Tom

   "Z-80 system stack overflow.  Shut 'er down Scotty, the system's

Tom Simes                                       simestd at netexpress.com