[NSRCA-discussion] Electric pattern recommended equipment

chris moon cjm767driver at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 8 10:33:05 AKDT 2008

Anthony.
Your question is exactly why I started the web site.  There is no single
place to find the large amount of data that exists on battery and motor
longevity and performance.  Everyone has their personal  data and
experiences but unless you contact everyone flying electrics, you won't
be able to get a large enough sample of data to draw valid conclusions.
As far as batteries, I think you will find answers all over the board.
I know of some who have only had good performance from a set of
batteries for 20-30 cycles and others who have 200+ cycles on the same
type of batteries.  What I am trying to do is see if the 20-30 cycles is
the norm, or is the 200 correct, or is the average somewhere in the
middle.  Only a large enough sample will tell, and hopefully that will
happen. I know that many/most/ of the really low cycle life packs were
caused by mfg defects and were subsequently replaced by the mfg.
As far as the Flight Power F3A packs, the consensus is that they are
really strong for maybe 50 flights, then degrade quickly and the average
cycle life is probably 100 or less.  I consider a pack run out if it
can't provide adequate power for  normal contest flight.  Not completely
dead, just too weak for a contest flight.  For example, my Flight Power
F3A pack has 110 cycles and I consider it too weak now for a contest
flight.  On the other hand, I have 2 sets of TP 5300 ProLites with 150+
cycles each and fly them regularly with good performance still.
Remember that the user has ultimate control over how well things work
over time.  We can all list people who could never get glow motor XYZ to
run well while others have stellar performance over a long period of
time.  Same for electrics.  Everyone will agree that there is a definite
learning curve to electrics and the best way to ensure success at first
is to copy a setup and charging regimen that has been used by others
with success over time.

Chris