[NSRCA-discussion] Electric pattern recommended equipment

glmiller3 at suddenlink.net glmiller3 at suddenlink.net
Sun Sep 7 14:30:55 AKDT 2008

Anthony,

I've used the Axi 5330 F3A and the Dualsky 11T  with very good results from both.  I think the AXI is a little stronger, but both are plenty powerful. I usually run them with a 20X15 APC prop. The CC85 and Jeti 99 spin controllers are both very good and reliable.  I prefer the Spin's myself, but I've used both.

For batteries, I prefer the Flightpower 5350 F3A packs....these have more capacity for their weight than the higher discharge capacity packs -  You don't need the "C" rating, you need the "mah" rating- my perspective anyway.  The True battery 5000 ma packs are OK for practice, but their availablity is spotty and they seem to have differing dimensions between different "lots".

There is a new website the has been started to collate various electric combo's-- I'm sure someone here will give the url shortly.

---- Anthony Abdullah <aabdu at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

=============
Hello everyone,
I have decided that my next pattern plane / build will be electric and I am doing my preliminary research before starting to buy equipment (motor, ESC, batteries, prop, E-motor mount) and could really use some help.

My goal for my first foray into electrics is to put together proven reliable equipment that works and performs well as complimentary components. I don't know as much about electrics as I will need to, but I am sure that I will be learning a lot as I go along. My expectations are that I will be using a Lipo 10S pack of at least 5000 mah (will this be enough?). I have often seen that people use the Hacker C50 motors but also see a lot of other engines by other manufacturers.

Requirements:
1. I do not want to use a gear box so I will need a motor capable of direct drive
2. I want equipment where the components will all work well together
3. weight is always an issue
4. price is a consideration but third behind reliability and performance

I will be flying advanced with the new airplane which will be purpose built as an electric. If there is a website or other source of useful information on electrics, I would like that as well.

Thanks in advance
Anthony