[NSRCA-discussion] Advice on battery checkers

Tom Simes simestd at netexpress.com
Fri Sep 5 11:29:10 AKDT 2008

On Fri, 5 Sep 2008 12:56:49 -0500
Gray E Fowler <gfowler at raytheon.com> wrote:

> Since it appears my new plane crash was due to a "new" battery failure
> or  some kind of high drain, it is time to get back into the habit of
> checking  the stinkin' batteries before every flight. This is a habit
> I had early  on, but 8 years in pattern and no battery problems made
> me lazy. I used to  have that cheapo $19.95 hobbico Expanded Volatge
> reader or some such, but  what is out there that I really should be
> using for my new $2000+  airplane?   Please let me know what you guys
> think!

By the way, in addition to measuring the .5A loaded voltage before each
flight, I also record it in a small notebook that I keep in my field
box.  It's kind of like little diary and a typical day's entry goes
something like this:

9/05/07
Elmendorf field, 0915
55 deg. F, wind var 3-5 from S-SE, 10/10 ovc @ ~5K

Sig S.E.
5.24V
5.12V - midrange a little rich, 2 ck lean
5.06V
4.91V - gradual rudder inputs on downlines!!
charge to 5.26v....
5.13V - tried APC 11x4, good breaking for !wind
5.10V - don't over flare
5.02V

Total ET 1h 8m
Ran out fuel, Mobil 1 5w30 after run
Need to replace left wheel, fix rudder ctl horn slop

Its not for everyone, but I really get a lot out of it.  Writing down
the voltages, equipment changes and squawks helps me spot trends and
keep on top of PM items before they cause problems.  It's also just fun
to go back and read, and it's a good reminder of what I should be
working on in the sim.  By the way, pencil marks don't run when
sprinkled on and it still works at -5F - neither of which can be said of
most pens.

Tom

   "Z-80 system stack overflow.  Shut 'er down Scotty, the system's

Tom Simes                                       simestd at netexpress.com