[NSRCA-discussion] Ideas on radio beserkness-cause of crash??

Lisa & Larry lld613 at psci.net
Tue Sep 2 18:00:37 AKDT 2008

Gray,

What type and brand of servos were you using? I've had oscillation problems
when using JR digital servos and noted it on range checking. I swapped out
the JR servos with Airtronics digitals and the problem went away.

Did you by chance check the battery performance on the Rx pack with a
similar load that was being placed by the servos? I would be curious what
the discharge curve looked like after the crash if the Rx pack survived,
assuming there is data with a higher discharge rate closer to the servo
load.Looks like your planning on testing this.

I had an instance with a FM Rx where the plane just shot down to a 45 degree
during a level flight path. I was told by folks watching that I couldn't
have put that much stick in to make the plane react like that. When I landed
I found the antenna coiled up. After I fixed that it did it again. I then
switched to a PCM Rx with all Futaba digital servo's and never had another
problem in that plane.

It was also suggested that my crystal was cracked or bad on that Rx. When
Airtronics looked at it they could find anything wrong with the Tx or Rx and
replaced the crystal in the FM Rx anyway. I've used that Rx in sport planes
with no problems since.

Perhaps Mark Atwood may chime in.

I'm not sponsored and I'm not a Stylus expert, just curious. I fly the
Stylus Tx and the PCM Rx.

Larry Diamond

  _____