[NSRCA-discussion] November Model Aviation

John Pavlick jpavlick at idseng.com
Wed Oct 29 05:28:26 AKDT 2008

Believe it or not I learned to fly with a control line airplane too (I'm 41). When I was a kid my Dad bought a Cox .049 Spitfire for me to fly when I was "old enough". I think he bought it when I was about a year old. One day, after my continuous nagging, he decided it was time to fly the little airplane. Of course he would need to fly it first, just to make sure it was OK. LOL Well, I never did get a chance to fly that airplane. Apparently my Dad flew a lot of free-flight when he was young but never had a control line plane. The first flight was, uh, interesting to say the least. He learned how to fly pretty quickly but according to him "it wasn't a good beginners airplane". He flew the Spitfire until it fell apart. Then we got a Cox PT-19 and the rest is history. By the time I was in second grade I could tear apart a Cox .049 with my eyes closed. Until I was able to work I couldn't really afford an R/C airplane so control-line was all I had. I
 remember seeing Cox control line planes at department stores all the time when I was young. Then they just vanished. Replaced by video games I guess. :(

John Pavlick