[NSRCA-discussion] 30 Size pratice planes

JEREMY CHINN lagrue at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 27 06:51:01 AKDT 2008

Colin, I've not flown any of the others besides the Flitons.

I'd heartily recommend the Vanquish. The awkward landing gear is fixed by quickly re-drilling the holes in the landing gear legs. The toe-out is not supposed to be there (quite obviously). At least the gear is strong and requires no reinforcement to stay strong!

Build the airplane as recommended with the stock power system and put a washer under the left motor mount tabs to give it some right thrust.

I've had two and found that it needs a small amount of rudder to aileron mix to get rid of all coupling.

I love the Flitons as well, however as you mentioned, they have their problems.

All that being said, I would not fly any of the planes on your list in a local park.........

Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2008 07:26:38 -0700From: cchariandy at yahoo.caTo: nsrca-discussion at lists.nsrca.orgSubject: [NSRCA-discussion] 30 Size pratice planes

Hello all

I'm trying to get some pattern flyer feedback on the some of the 30 size practice planes out there. I have a 10 sized (Inspire Mini) thats great for the local park when there is no wind but I would like something a bit larger that can be flown at the flying field on typical fall/early winter days (so some wind will be a factor).

I have looked at the Element 30, Aspera, Vanquish and the new Angel 30.

The Element is the largest and has cool features like an airfoiled stab and fin but may require some mods due to the usual Fliton issues, the Angel looks amazing but is ridiculously expensive, the Aspera is a bit small and does not have a "tall body", the Vanquish has awkward looking L'gear.....none perfect but which is the best for pattern/FAI practice?

Unfortunately most of the set-ups, reviews and comments on RCU and RCG are from 3D'ers who tend to overpower the airplanes or want 15min flights. They all seem to want to "ping" out of a hover...whatever that means.

Are any of these in use for FAI practice and what choices for power/batteries best emulate the current crop of 2M planes?

I am particularly interested in the Element. If anyone has flown it I would appreacite your comments.

Thanks much
Colin.