[NSRCA-discussion] Servo lead crimping tools

Martin X. Moleski, SJ moleski at canisius.edu
Sat Oct 25 06:04:02 AKDT 2008

John Konneker wrote:

>  Can anyone recommend a crimping tool they have had success with?

Crimping tool:

  http://www.rc-dymond.com/index.php?productID=407

Futaba female and male connectors:

  http://www.rc-dymond.com/index.php?productID=412

  http://www.rc-dymond.com/index.php?productID=409

Twisted, heavy-gauge servo wire:

  http://www.rc-dymond.com/index.php?productID=415

I'm sure the same hardware can be obtained elsewhere, but
I've been very happy with Dymond.

I had to have a friend show me the right way to use
the tool.  There is a left and right side to it.
When you put the pins in properly, one part of the
pin coils into the 1/8" bare wire and the other part
wraps around the insulation.  You can tell just by
looking whether you got a good crimp.

The next tricky part is putting the pins in the cases
in the right order and right-side up.  Put the pins
in upside-down and they will not connect reliably.
Put them in right-side up and you should hear them
click into place.  A good tug test will help
inspire confidence that you got it right.

One other cool tool is a wire stripper.  I inherited
mine from an electrical engineer back in the 80s.
I'm sure it's overkill, but it lets you make real
nice, neat, consistent strips.

				Marty