[NSRCA-discussion] charging NiMH with NiCD charger

Robert Campbell rgc1701 at earthlink.net
Thu Oct 16 18:32:15 AKDT 2008

Jason,

It's probably OK. NiCad and NiMH charging is essentially the same, except
with NiMH, the drop off after peaking is much more shallow, requiring a
different logic to detect.   The "wall wart isn't a peak detecting charger
and it will damage any battery it overcharges, specifically, it shortens the
life of the battery.  If I remember correctly is about a 50 mah charge rate
(charges a 500 mah battery in 10 hrs).  That will take 50 hrs to completely
charge a fully discharged 2500 mah cell.  So, unless you're leaving your
transmitter plugged in for several days at a time, it probably isn't hurting
the battery any more than it will hurt a NiCad battery.

I recommend switching to a peak detecting charger/cycler with a NiMH
setting.  With proper monitoring, you'll see trouble developing before it
becomes serious.

Rob